A BLT sandwich is as good as the ingredients that make it up. Take your BLT to the next level with Burgers’ Smokehouse Steak Cut Bacon and our Avocado Aioli sauce.
- 1 pound (8-9 slices*) thick-cut bacon (Recommend: Burgers’ Smokehouse Steak Cut Bacon)
- ½ cup Avocado Aioli, plus more as needed
- 8 slices of thick-sliced wheat bread (or your favorite bakery bread)
- 8 small leaves of leafy green and/or red lettuce (or look for a package labeled “Artisan Lettuces”), clean, dry, and cut down to the size of the bread
- About 3 (1 ½ pounds) ripe heirloom tomatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick
- Bake the bacon: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a rack on top of a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crispy, about 25-28 minutes for thick-cut bacon (or about 20-23 minutes for thin-cut bacon). Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. When cool enough to handle, cut each piece in half.
- Make the aioli: While the bacon cooks, follow the directions to make this Avocado Aioli (or make it up to 2 days in advance).
- Toast the bread: When the bacon is done, turn the broiler on high and arrange the top rack to the center of the oven. Place the bread slices on a sheet pan and broil for about 1 minute per side, until lightly golden brown. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
- Build the sandwiches: Lay out the toasted bread slices on a clean surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of aioli on each piece. On half of the bread slices, top with 2 leaves of lettuce and 2 slices of tomato. Season tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper. Then top with 4 half pieces* of the cooked bacon. Place the remaining bread atop each sandwich and serve.
*If not using thick-cut bacon, your package will include about 12 slices, so you’ll use 6 half slices per sandwich instead of 4 half slices.