- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 1.5 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
- 4 to 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 12 to 16 slices sourdough bread
- 12 to 16 slices provolone, cheddar, mozzarella, or pepper Jack cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, minced onion, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Place the roast in the cooker and season lightly with salt and black pepper on all sides. Pour the sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 5 to 6 hours, until the meat easily shreds. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return the meat to the cooker and stir it into the sauce.
- Spread a thin layer of butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place a slice of cheese on the unbuttered side of half the slices of bread. Using a slotted spoon, add a layer of the shredded meat (be sure to drain the liquid first). Top with another slice of cheese and a second slice of bread, buttered-side up.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches for a few minutes on each side, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Serve the sandwiches warm, with the warmed juices from the cooker in small bowls alongside for dipping.
FREEZE FOR LATER: Follow step 1. Pour the sauce into a gallon-size freezer bag or container. Season the roast lightly with salt and black pepper and add to the bag/container with the sauce. Seal and freeze. Place the bread and cheese in separate freezer bags or containers. Seal and freeze alongside the roast.
PREPARE FROM FROZEN: Note: You will need to have butter on hand to complete this meal. Thaw. Place in the slow cooker. Follow steps 3 through 6.