This is a truly healthy option for you chocolate lovers out there. As one among you, I adore this smoothie. I love this gorgeous reddish earthy hue, which tells you exactly what you’re about to taste: raspberry, followed by dark chocolate, enhanced with a pinch of salt. Because the avocado lends the smoothie a thick, creamy texture, you’ll want to grab a spoon. It’s not dessert for breakfast, but it’s close enough.
If you can’t find a bag of frozen raspberries, strawberries are a great substitute. Rich, caramel-like, and potassium-packed, Medjool dates are my favorite add-in for sweetness. Although they might be a little harder to keep on hand than honey or agave nectar, I can find them at Costco.Print
This is a truly healthy smoothie option for you chocolate lovers out there. Raspberry paired with dark chocolate and sea salt makes this an unforgettable snack or breakfast.
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- ½ avocado, pitted
- ½ large very ripe banana, sliced and frozen
- 3 tablespoons natural cocoa powder or raw cacao
- big pinch (about ½ tsp) sea salt
- 1 ½ cups milk of choice (I use brown rice milk)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, optional
- 2–3 soft Medjool dates (can substitute 2–3 tsp honey)
- Add everything to the blender and puree on high for a minute or two. You should arrive at a thick consistency—think slightly melted frozen yogurt.
- Taste and adjust to your liking, then pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.
Lindsey Howald Patton is a food, architecture, history, and art writer based in Chicago. When not accidentally leaning in way too close to the paintings, she tinkers with gluten- and dairy-free recipes at home and blogs about them over on At Burning Degrees.