Is anyone like me and have a freezer full of beef? This summer, some friends and I went in together to purchase a grass-fed cow. It’s a great way to go if you have a deep freeze and like beef.
Locally-raised, grass-fed beef is incredibly healthy. In fact, it’s the only kind of red meat I’ll ever buy again. Plus, it’s a huge cost savings to purchase it in bulk like this and you’re supporting a local farmer. You get various steaks, roasts, ground beef, and, yes, even a few weird parts. Overall, I think it’s the way to go.
Now the challenging part to having a ton of beef around is using it up!
This Szechuan Steak Stir-Fry recipe is one of my Freezer Club‘s favorite beef meals. A big shout out to my friend, Shelly M, for the original recipe! It’s got a ton of flavor and is easy to make. I usually serve it over brown rice for some added fiber. (Update from 8/2/14: I made this again tonight and my entire family LOVED it!)
Freezer meal instructions are included below. If you have questions, let me know! Looking for more healthy and delicious freezer meals? Check out these 70+ recipes.Print
This very quick and easy meal rivals any Asian take-out stir-fry. Serve over brown rice for some added fiber.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup all-natural soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons all-natural stir-fry sauce
- 1 pound steak (any kind), sliced thin, 1-2” long pieces
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1–2 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 2–3 cups (1 small package) frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Combine garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, sesame oil, and stir-fry sauce in a large ziplock bag. Close bag and shake well to combine. Add steak to bag and put in fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Combine water, sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, just until crisp-tender (do not over cook). Remove to plate.
- Add beef and marinade to hot pan. Stir fry just until meat is cooked through (do not over cook). This only takes 1-2 minutes.
- Return vegetables to pan and toss with meat and sauce. Bring sauce to a simmer. Then add water/cornstarch mixture to thicken sauce. After sauce thickens (after about a minute or so), remove from heat.
- Top with with cilantro and peanuts and serve over rice.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Prepare the different uncooked ingredients and freeze them separately in freezer-safe containers/bags as follows:
– Make the marinade and put the steak in the marinade in a large freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.
– Mix the cornstarch, sugar, and water and put in small zip-top bag.
– Chop peanuts and put in another small zip-top bag. (Do not prep and freeze cilantro ahead of time.)
– Put all three zip-top baggies into one gallon-sized freezer bag. Freeze with the frozen veggie bag on top or nearby, so the meal is all together.
When ready to cook, thaw steak/marinade, cornstarch mixture, and peanuts in the refrigerator overnight or by running the bags under cold water for several minutes. IMPORTANT: Do not thaw the frozen veggies! Then cook everything according to directions, starting with Step 3. Prepare and garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.