This very quick and easy meal rivals any Asian take-out stir-fry. Serve over brown rice for some added fiber.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup all-natural soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons all-natural stir-fry sauce
- 1 pound steak (any kind), sliced thin, 1-2” long pieces
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1–2 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 2–3 cups (1 small package) frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Combine garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, sesame oil, and stir-fry sauce in a large Ziploc bag. Close bag and shake well to combine. Add steak to bag and put in fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Combine water, sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, just until crisp-tender (do not over cook). Remove to plate.
- Add beef and marinade to hot pan. Stir fry just until meat is cooked through (do not over cook). This only takes 1-2 minutes.
- Return vegetables to pan and toss with meat and sauce. Bring sauce to a simmer. Then add water/cornstarch mixture to thicken sauce. After sauce thickens (after about a minute or so), remove from heat.
- Top with with cilantro and peanuts and serve over rice.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Prepare the different uncooked ingredients and freeze them separately in freezer-safe containers/bags as follows:
– Make the marinade and put the steak in the marinade in a large freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.
– Mix the cornstarch, sugar, and water and put in small zip-top bag.
– Chop peanuts and put in another small zip-top bag. (Do not prep and freeze cilantro ahead of time.)
– Put all three zip-top baggies into one gallon-sized freezer bag. Freeze with the frozen veggie bag on top or nearby, so the meal is all together.
When ready to cook, thaw steak/marinade, cornstarch mixture, and peanuts in the refrigerator overnight or by running the bags under cold water for several minutes. IMPORTANT: Do not thaw the frozen veggies! Then cook everything according to directions, starting with Step 3. Prepare and garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.