Instead of making pie of those leftover peaches—the ones so soft and ripe they make your kitchen smell like an orchard as they go about collapsing under their own weight—try this spiced late-summer smoothie instead.
The flax seeds add a toasty, nutty background—and vegetarian omega-3s—to this peaches ‘n almond cream-style shake. Rolled oats bring on the fiber and protein, while turmeric and ginger lend pie-spice flavor along with fantastic anti-inflammatory properties. I try to avoid sweetened almond butter and almond milk at the grocery store; they’re both packed with surprising amounts of sugar. A super-ripe peach and banana should be all the natural sweetness you need; and if not, a little teaspoon of honey or maple syrup goes a long way.
- 1 very ripe fresh peach, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small very ripe banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 heaping TBL natural almond butter
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon roasted whole flax seeds (if you aren’t used to the flavor, I recommend starting with half)
- tiny pinch of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, optional
- ½-inch chunk of fresh peeled ginger, optional
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp raw honey, or to taste
- 2 ice cubes
- Add everything except the honey to your blender and puree on high for a full minute or two.
- Now have a little taste. Does it need that teaspoon or so of honey, or is it sweet enough? How about a bit more cinnamon? Do you want more liquid? Adjust to taste and texture, then blend on high again until you’re satisfied.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.