- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 1.5 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3–4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast (1 large roast or 2 smaller ones), trimmed of excess fat
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 16 large slices of sourdough bread
- 16 slices provolone, cheddar, or pepper Jack cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, minced onion, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Place the roast in the cooker and season lightly with salt and black pepper on all sides. Pour the sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 5 to 6 hours, until the meat easily shreds. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return the meat to the cooker and stir it into the sauce.
- Spread a thin layer of butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place a slice of cheese on the unbuttered side of half the slices of bread. Using a slotted spoon, add a layer of the shredded meat (be sure to drain the liquid first). Top with another slice of cheese and a second slice of bread, buttered-side up.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches for a few minutes on each side, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Serve the sandwiches warm, with the warmed juices from the cooker in small bowls alongside for dipping.
FREEZE FOR LATER: Follow step 1. Pour the sauce into a gallon-size freezer bag or container. Season the roast lightly with salt and black pepper and add to the bag/container with the sauce. Seal and freeze. Place the bread and cheese in separate freezer bags or containers. Seal and freeze alongside the roast.
PREPARE FROM FROZEN: Note: You will need to have butter on hand to complete this meal. Thaw. Place in the slow cooker. Follow steps 3 through 6.
Instant Pot Instructions: FREEZE FOR LATER: Follow steps 1 and 2. Place the sauce and the meat in a gallon-size freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze (if using a freezer bag, set it in a bowl or round container with a diameter similar to the Instant Pot so it will fit in the pot when frozen). Place the bread and cheese in separate freezer bags or containers. Seal and freeze alongside the meat.
PREPARE FROM FROZEN: Note: You will need to have butter on hand to complete this meal. Thaw the bread and cheese. Set the Instant Pot to “Saute” Transfer the frozen meat to the pot and cook for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press “Cancel.” Follow steps 4 through 6. (The frozen meat will cook in the same amount of time as fresh.)