Broccoli and wild rice casserole. Full of flavor, packed with healthy, fresh ingredients and freezer friendly. Take this to your next family gathering!
- 1 cup uncooked Wild Rice
- 10 cups Low-sodium Chicken Broth, more If needed for thinning
- 1/2 cup (1 Stick) Butter
- 4 heads broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 package (8oz) white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1.5 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1 whole medium onion, finely diced
- 2 whole carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Start cooking your wild rice. Combine 4-5 cups chicken broth with wild rice. Bring to a boil (follow the cooking instructions that are on the wild rice package or cook the rice until it has just started to break open and is slightly tender). Mine took about 35 to 40 minutes. Drain and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli by throwing the florets into boiling water for 1½ to 2 minutes. Immediately drain and plunge it into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Remove it from the ice water and set it aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, then melt 6 tablespoons of the butter. Add all of your vegetables and cook them, stirring frequently for about 7-8 minutes. When they start to soften and turn a bit brown, they are done.
- Sprinkle the flour on the vegetables and stir to incorporate. Then cook for about a minute. Pour in the remaining 5 cups of broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and allow it to thicken, about 3 minutes. Pour in the heavy cream, stirring to combine. Let the mixture cook until it thickens. Season with the salt and pepper, then taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Add the cooked rice to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, then layer on the broccoli. Using a ladle, scoop out the vegetable/broth mixture and spoon it evenly all over the top. Continue with the rest of the sauce, totally covering the surface with vegetables.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine in separate bowl with the panko breadcrumbs. Toss the mixture together to coat the breadcrumbs in butter, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs all over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake the casserole at 375 for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Optional: sprinkle on the parsley after you remove it from the oven.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Follow steps 1-6. Freeze before cooking.
When ready to cook, let thaw completely and follow step 7.