Although this sweet bread is made with 100% whole wheat (thanks to the light texture of the white whole wheat variety), it is still light, moist, and incredibly flavorful. Serve a slice warmed up with a little butter or cream cheese on top for breakfast or a snack.
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ - 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla
- ¾ cup sugar (I use unrefined turbinado sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x11 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle, about 40-50 minutes in a glass loaf pan and 30-40 minutes in a metal loaf pan.
- Let cool slightly before slicing. Serving suggestion: smear a warm slice with butter or cream cheese.
To Freeze: Bake and let bread cool completely. Wrap tightly in a few layers of foil and place in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Squeeze out all the air, seal, and freeze.
To Prepare From Frozen: Let bread thaw on the counter or in the fridge. Or you can use the defrost setting on your microwave.