Desperately trying not to go to the store again, last night’s dinner was another “use up what’s in the freezer, refrigerator and pantry” meal. Thankfully, it turned out quite good and was very filling and easy, easy, easy! Seriously, pass this one along to the college students in your life.
The only downside for us was that it was a little spicy for the kids I got the idea from a recipe I saw on Easy Meals for Moms called Santa Fe Chicken. Using what I had and, of course, sneaking in some squash (which we couldn’t even taste), this made for a delicious, hearty meal.Print
Slow cooked chicken, vegetables, and cheese sauce make for a delicious, healthy, and EASY meal served over brown rice.
- 2–3 chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 1 16 ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional: 1 cup cooked, pureed squash or pumpkin (for added tasteless nutrition!)
- 1 cup of organic frozen corn kernels (canned and drained works too)
- 4 ounces of low fat cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Topping ideas: shredded lettuce, diced avocado, sour cream, diced onion, minced jalapenos, chopped black olives
- In a slow cooker, add chicken and top with salsa, black beans, and squash/pumpkin. Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for about 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender and white throughout.
- Remove chicken and cut into bite sized pieces or shred it. Add back to slow cooker. Add corn and cubed cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese melts and blends into sauce and corn is warm.
- Serve over brown rice with shredded cheese and your favorite toppers.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
If you plan to freeze this for later, go ahead and fully cook. Let it cool. Store in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours and warm on low over the stove or in the microwave. For a quick thaw, use the defrost setting on the microwave.