football-blanket-tutorial

These cozy blankets are easy to make and can be a great baby boy gift. I made this one for a friend who has a baby boy on the way. Can’t wait to see their little guy wrapped up in it! Until then, I’ll just have to use my little lady as a model.

Football Blanket Tutorial

Want to make one of your own? Keep reading!

Materials:

• One yard of brown fabric
  • One yard of patterned fabric
  • 1/4 yard of white fleece (or some type of fabric that doesn’t fray)
  • Brown thread
  • White thread

Directions:
Start by folding your brown fabric in half. Then in half again.

Football Blanket Tutorial

I just eyeballed the measurements so I don’t have an exact number to give you. Just cut your piece at a circular angle like the picture below.
Football Blanket Tutorial

When you unfold it, it should look like this.

Football Blanket Tutorial

I used my brown piece as a template for my patterned fabric.  Cut the patterned fabric the same way.

Football Blanket Tutorial

Unfold your brown piece and cut out the laces from your white fleece. My edge laces are two inches wide and my inner laces were one inch wide. I placed them about 7 inches in. Pin laces and then sew your laces in place with white thread.

Football Blanket Tutorial

Place both large pieces right sides together and pin all around very well. (As you can see, my ovals didn’t line up perfectly. That’s OK. Sew around the edges being careful to leave a 4-6 inch gap not sewn so you can turn your blanket right side out.

Football Blanket Tutorial

After you’ve sewn the pieces and flipped them right side out, finish off the opening you left not sewn.

I then did another top stitch all around the edging to give it a more finished look. A top stitch is what it sounds like: a stitch sewn on top of the edge of your blanket!

Football Blanket Tutorial

When you’re done, wrap a baby up in it to see if it works.

Yep, this one works great!

Football Blanket Tutorial

She was loving the texture of the fabric. With fleece on the other side, this blanket will be perfect for those football games in the crisp Fall weather.

Football Blanket Tutorial

Like this tutorial?┬áCheck out our other tutorials for more DIY ideas! Also, don’t forget to sign up for our email so you don’t miss any other creative ideas in the future!

Here are a few other crafty ideas you will find around Thriving Home:

Fabric Flower Bouquet

fabric flowers

4th of July Wreath

4th of july wreath

Chair Makeover

chair before and after

How to Make a Bow Tie

How to Make a Bow Tie

Pin It

Like this post? Join thousands of other subscribers and get our weekly newsletter.

Comments

1. Bonnie says

This is really cute Polly!

Awe shucks. Thanks! It was really easy to make- you should try one!

2. Allison M says

This is awesome! I’m going to make one for my hubby and myself. Go Steelers! Thanks so much for the awesome tutorial.

3. mary wisecup says

My daughter found this blanket, and wanted me to make it for her first born son, KALE. So I will make it for her – looks easy. I will enjoy it, I am sure. Thank you.

It’s a fun project to make. Send us pictures on how it turns out if you think of it!

4. Robyn says

Thank you so much for sharing the cute blanket. Found you through Pinterest.

Thanks Robyn!

5. hickorynut says

i just made this 2 weeks ago for a baby shower and it was an absolute hit! the other women attending went crazy over it. I am not a pro-sewer by any means, and it only took me one night and one morning to complete. Thank you so much for this great idea!! I have 2 boys, so i might have to actually make something for myself for once!

Thanks for sharing!!I’m so glad they were a hit. These blankets can make you look like a “pro-sewer” can’t they?!

6. Katie says

Thank you for sharing this! I just made one like it for my son for Christmas! It was really easy to do and it turned out great!

7. Amia says

Hello! This is so cute, I am going to try one for a baby gift this week if possible….can you please tell me what type of fabric you used for the printed side? Was it fleece or cotton?
    Thanks!

It is fleece. I love using that material because it doesn’t fray!

Also- if you think of it, send me a picture of your finished product- I’d love to see it!

8. Pingback: Make a 4th of July Onesie

9. Ashley says

So cute! And Go Tigers!!!

10. Robin says

Where did you buy the brown fabric? – Thanks. So cute!!

I got it at Hobby Lobby.

11. Brooke says

Did you finish the edges of the white fleece or just cut and sew down?

Fleece doesn’t fray at all so you don’t need to finish the edges.

12. Danelle says

Thank you for a wonderful easy tutorial. This blanket was really easy. Made it for a friend’s newborn and she loved it!

Great! Glad you could put it to good use!

13. Joni says

Hi Polly, I saw this adorable blanket last night about squealed out loud b/c it’ll be perfect to give my expecting friend at her shower this weekend. Question though – with the finished blanket, did you feel like there was a need to put some sort of adhesive in between the two layers so they would “stick” together a little more? Minky is soo slippery, I’m just curious if it was kind of a pain to wrap your daughter in since the two layers aren’t more attached? Thanks so much!

That’s a good question. It wouldn’t hurt to put a few stitches in (maybe hide them along the football laces?) but I think the fleece is clingy enough to to keep it together for the most part. I gave mine away before I washed it so I’m not sure how it came out after that. It wouldn’t hurt to add a few stitches but if you don’t it’ll probably be ok. How’s that for a definite answer? Haha!

14. Kelsey says

Hi Polly!

Do you recommend pre-washing all the fabric? What would be the suggested washing/drying instructions for this?

15. Danielle Cotton says

How about in PINK? Sure!!!! Then little girls could get in the “huddle” & cuddle ~snuggle, too:)

16. Samantha says

Hey there! I would LOVE to try this for my hubby. However, I just have a couple quick questions…did you hand sew or use a sewing machine? And do you think 1 yard would be big enough for adults?! Please let know if I should up my quantity of yards for all the fabric!

Thanks

I used a sewing machine. It would take a LONG time to do it by hand. I really don’t think one yard will be big enough to be honest. It’s perfect for a baby size blanket but I’d add another half yard or so. Good luck!